Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Richardson Reflection


While reading Richardson’s text on web tools there were a few points to reflect upon.  In chapter 1 Richardson discusses is how the web has create millions of amateur authors.  As I thought about this it seemed incredible to think how anyone can now publish their thoughts for the public to view and comment on.  I look and see myself doing it on a blog...I am not the most tech savvy but yet here I am able to publish my thoughts to a global audience.  Frankly it scares me, not that others will reading my thoughts, but the idea of adolescents being part of this world.  Having to sieve through all the ideas, opinions and information out there.
As a teacher my first response to this is to teach and model how to navigate the internet.  How to critical analyze the web and who is publishing the information what is the authors intent and purpose.  I struggle with keeping up new technology developments so I worry in my endeavors to keep up that I am not covering all that I could when teaching how to navigate the web safely.  I also teach Kindergarten so while I know that younger and younger children are being exposed to the internet, I question how much to familiarize them to.
I think blogging might be a good way to teach students how to use the internet.  Teaching kindergarten it is hard to see using blogging. At looking at blogs I still am unsure how to utilize in the younger grades with students who are not yet writing full sentences yet.  I did like learn more about how to make it age appropriate for my grade.  I have used websites such as Starfall, http://www.starfall.com/, to reinforce his phonics skills.  I also use the phonics game that come with our reading series Super Kids, the following site has a sample of the games http://www.superkidsreading.org/superkids-reading-program/tech-K.php.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment